Friday 11 March 2016

Radiotherapy Finished

It was the last day of RT on Wednesday. A mixture of emotions. 

I was relieved to get the treatment finished because I didn't think I could take any more of the pain at the back of my knee. I have now been reduced to hobbling around and taking one stair at a time, every slight bend brings with it a lot of pain. The area around the knee and thigh is also very tender, but nothing compared to the knee pain. I think I have cracked the issue of holding the PolyMem bandage on the area and so far so good. Every now and again I need a little trip to the toilet cubicle to adjust it but other than that it is holding up well. 

The memories of final treatment day will stay with me forever. Emma and Alfie came along, as so did Bill and Joan (Emma's nan and gramps). It was really special to have some support with me. Initially I just though of it as another day at Clatterbridge, but having loved ones there with me made a real difference. It sunk in that the occasion wasn't just for me, but everyone else too. It reinforced the idea that everyone is feeling it as much as me, and that the "ringing of the bell" was also a milestone for them too.

Speaking of the "ringing of the bell", the thought of drawing attention to myself, right upto the moment of doing it, was not one I relished. That all changed on my little hobble over to the bell with our son Alfie. I was an honour to hold that little rope with his little hands and finally do it. I think he was taken aback by the reaction from others sat in the waiting room, like everyone was cheering him on for his excellent bell ringing skills. He was a hero for a minute or two, the best bell ringer in the world in his eyes. When offered a second go though, he shied away from it and hid behind me. Like I said, I was so proud to do it with Alfie, and that will be with me forever. I know he doesn't quite understand at the moment, but he will look back on the photos and realise what a special thing he did.




Emma, Bill and Joan also kept little Alfie entertained whilst I was in on the table getting zapped. Fishies and balloons, how to keep a two year old entertained.






I also mustered up the courage to ask the medical team to take a photo of me on the radiotherapy machine, something I have been meaning to do for a while.


After treatment I met Dr Alam again to look at how the leg has been reacting. She told me that I will be going for an MRI scan in a week or two to see how the tumour has reacted. Dr Alam also asked me a favour. They want me to spend half a day at Clatterbridge on a Saturday this month, to help with some kind of Junior Doctor training. Its not very often they get a Myoid Liposarcoma coming in and she feels I can be some kind of use. Of course I was happy to accept with all they have done for me, so that should be quite exciting.

Thanks again to Joan and Bill for coming along, and of course Emma and Alfie. We had a lovely meal afterwards to celebrate our little victory.



3 comments:

  1. I can't say it enough but I am so proud of you, seeing you and our little Alfie ring that bell was one of the happiest moments of my life. These last few months have been so hard and I'm now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    You are always so positive even though I know you must be in a lot of pain, and to continue working and providing for our little family throughout shows your strength. Final hurdle to get through next month and then onwards and upwards for us (I hope) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things will get better soon I know they will we have so much to look forward to, just one little thing to get sorted eh, and hopefully that's just around the corner. Thanks for letting me have a lazy day yesterday it was a relief to put my leg up and ease the pain. Love you and our little family so much xx

      Delete
  2. You say that like you don't have a lazy day every Sunday! Haha xx

    ReplyDelete