Monday 7 March 2016

Nearing the end of RT

I am now nearing the end of my radiotherapy treatment, only 3 more sessions to go of the 25. It seems to have flown by to be honest. Its at the point where it is going to feel strange not going to the hospital daily.

I can tell the tumour has shrunk in size. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too noticeable to everyone else, but when I am are stuck with it 24/7, having the odd feel as I'm driving, the change to me feels quite significant.

I was warned of the side effects of the radiotherapy prior to the treatment, and over the last week, the final week of treatment, one of the side effects has really started to rear its ugly head. The whole area which is being treated has become tender and quite uncomfortable to touch. This I can live with, its just like they said it would be, like sunburn. The one area which is causing a lot of discomfort though is the back of my knee. The pain when I try to bend my knee is quite excruciating. The skin has started to crack and the area has turned a dark, almost black colour. Because of this I have developed a bit of a limp in my walk, to try and keep my leg as straight as possible to avoid the pain which comes with every slight bend. Stairs are the biggest struggle, I have to tip-toe on my right leg to try and lift my left leg straight onto the next step.

The nurses at Clatterbridge Cancer Centre have given me a supply of PolyMem foam dressing to apply to the area. Its clever stuff which cleanses the skin, absorbs any leakages from the skin and does reduce the pain quite a bit. Unfortunately it would seem there is no clever way of keeping it in place on the back of a joint which moves a lot. The surrounding area is also undergoing treatment so there is no easy way to stick the foam in place. This I learnt the hard way when trying to remove a plaster which was holding it on the back of my knee. I won't be trying that again. The fish net stocking which is supposed to help hold it in place also rides up and down my leg so that doesn't to seem to help much either. I guess this stuff is designed to help people who are confined to a bed or sofa, and only get up now and again to make a cup of tea, it doesn't seem to help much when your job involves quite a bit of walking and moving around.

Still, no pain, no gain. It obviously means the RT is doing its job.

I have engineered a solution for today at least, the old faithful foldback clip.



Emma and I are like an old couple. Me limping around and Emma in the late stages of pregnancy. The wonderful things which come out of each of our situations though, are worth every second for us. I just do enough moaning for the two of us.

5 comments:

  1. So proud of you 💛 I'd say you have it worse tho, I mean the sight of you in fish net stockings is hilarious! If it weren't for your RT I'd be quite worried xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha don't worry I wont be keeping the stocking. That thing is so uncomfortable its forever tickling my leg. I'm going to have to invent something xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom & Emma,
    I have a wee bit of advice re:knee bending. You look a kinda fit fellow unlike me so I would suggest to try and keep as much flexibility in your knee as possible. Its been a year since my op and still have little flex in my knee which is a bit of a bugga now as I can't drive so if you can keep going I know it hurts and following your op it might hurt a wee bit more.....I know I'm a proper little ray of f-ing sunshine :)
    I am a good bit older than you and I know that in future I am going to have more problems with arthritis as well as this 'thing' but you have your whole life in front of you with your young family and Emma so keep as active as you can, its the way forward as they say....(who are they???)
    As for your post-RT keep moisturising it'll be over in about 7-10 days and you will have baby soft skin again....lol
    Take care all of you
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caz.

      Thanks for your encouragement, the pain is quite severe at the moment and I am expecting it to be worse after the operation as you say. Its good to know that this will settle down in a week or two, give me a bit of respite before the operation at least :)

      How are you managing to get round at the moment? I have thought of getting a crutch which might help me at the moment, but like usual I do nothing about it and hobble about haha :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Tom
    I used a folding walking stick up to my op just for balance as I was a bit unsteady on my feet anyway. Post-op I had two elbow crutches (issued by physio at the hospital) and I got about on them (even in the house) until probably about 5/6 months following the op then downgraded to one elbow crutch from then until about 9/10 months and since then back to my walking stick. I have to stress I am older (60) and have MS as well which affected my walking prior to the lipo and was scared that I took a tumble outside (or even in the house which I did a couple of times...lol) so I guess I was over cautious. As I said before you are younger and probably heal a lot quicker and hopefully back on your feet as soon as you can following your op - your physio will ensure that. I still take milder painkillers but that helps with my arthritis as well. No real pain in my wound as such sometimes its a bit achy but nothing I can't manage. The worst thing is not being able to bend my knee, you have no idea how much it means to be able to cut your own toenails and even put on a pair of socks until you can't easily do it! Having my driving licence withdrawn by DVLA was awful, it removed my independence which really knocked to my confidence, having to rely on people to bring your shopping (thank goodness for Tesco home delivery! never thought I'd say that...lol) but not being able just to nip to the shops is really devastating.....over dramatizing?....probably...but its how I've felt. I cling onto the fact that I am still upright and breathing, still here so that gives me a kick up the butt to stop complaining.
    You are so lucky to have Emma and she will support you through all the coming months just as you will support her through those same months.....having 3 babies in the house instead of a young child, a newborn and a husband....lol....good luck Emma!!!
    Anyway enough of my drivel, glad your RT is over now onwards and upwards to the next hurdle, then the final straight back to good health
    As ever take care and chin up Mister
    best wishes
    Caz :)

    ReplyDelete