Monday 8 February 2016

Treatment Underway

I have now had 2 of my 25 radiotherapy sessions at Clatterbridge so still an long way to go. Organising my work around the appointment times has been relatively straightforward so far so long may that continue. As I have mentioned in previous posts, my employer has been very accommodating and understanding which is very helpful.

I was sat in the waiting room on Friday for my 4pm appointment, when I was awoken from my daydreaming by the loud ringing of a bell. This was followed by everyone in the waiting room clapping and cheering, some even getting to their feet. I joined in of course, not realising straight away what all the commotion was about, but when I turned to look at where the ringing came from, all became apparent.

Sat in his wheelchair, a man of no less than 80 years old, had just rang the bell to let everyone know that he had just finished his final treatment. The look of joy on his face was obviously from the overwhelming appreciation shown by other patients and their loved ones, as well as celebrating the end of his radiotherapy treatment of course, I can imagine its a long old slog.


When it sank in, it was quite moving and really made my day. I can't imagine myself ringing that bell at the moment, not only because it seems so far away, but because I hate drawing attention to myself in a room full of people. I have no doubts that 4 weeks into my treatment I will be itching to ring that bell though, in fact, I would love little Alfie there to help me do it, he would loving ringing that bell, but it might be hard work getting him away from it.


I was quite shocked to find out I was in Friday's Liverpool Echo. I was contacted by a reporter from the Echo as I was waiting for my first treatment on Thursday evening. He asked me to send me a picture of myself, which I thought was to go with a little article on the website as part of the World Cancer Day campaign. It was not until Friday evening that I got a picture message off Emma showing me the section in the paper. I honestly had no idea. If I can help spread awareness in anyway though, that is a bonus, and I would like to thank Jamie McLoughlin from the Echo for taking the time to share my story.

3 comments:

  1. Alfie will be there to ring those bells with you - I'm sure no one will mind him singing jingle bells along with it :)
    So proud of how brave your being - for someone so reserved I know how hard it's been for you to tell the world your story!
    I have to give credit to my mum for the article as she was the one who told me! I know there were a few last minute races to pick up the Echo on Friday evening.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll become the expert in a week or so. RT will speed up and you will be in and out in a jiffy. The only time it sometimes takes a little longer is when there is a change of staff but i'm sure they are all brilliant.
    Continued good luck and health Tom :)

    ReplyDelete